Northwestern Regional Housing Authority

The future belongs to those who see possibilities before they become obvious

What is the difference between Section 8 and public housing?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program allows you to choose your own rental unit anywhere in the NRHA seven-county region. The landlord must agree to be a participant in the program and sign a contract with the Housing Authority. The rental unit must then pass a Housing Authority inspection, and the Housing Authority must approve the rent charged by the landlord as a reasonable rent.

Thre are two types of Section 8 assistance available through NRHA - tenant-based and project-based. A tenant-based Section 8 voucher can be transferred from one rental unit to another if the tenant chooses to move and follows the proper procedures outlined by the Housing Authority. A project-based Section 8 voucher is linked to a specific housing project (development?) and remains with the project (development?) rather than transferring with a tenant who chooses to move outside of the project.

Under the public housing program, NRHA is the owner/landlord of the property. Public housing units are available for rent at below the market rate, based on your income level.


869 Highway 105 Extension
Suites 10 & 11
PO Box 2510
Boone, North Carolina 28607


Phone: 828-264-6683
Fax: 828-264-0272

Equal Housing Opportunity