Northwestern Regional Housing Authority

The future belongs to those who see possibilities before they become obvious

Can I use my voucher in another county?

You can use your voucher in any of our seven counties, but you must live in the county you select for a minimum of one year before you can transfer your housing assistance to a new unit. After the first year, you can choose to transfer to another unit either within the same county or another county within our region. You may also "port out" to any area in the United States that has a rental assistance program, if the receiving housing authority will agree to accept your voucher.

If the county you have in mind is outside our seven-county region, you should apply instead with the housing authority that covers that area.


869 Highway 105 Extension
Suites 10 & 11
PO Box 2510
Boone, North Carolina 28607


Phone: 828-264-6683
Fax: 828-264-0272

Equal Housing Opportunity